May 6, 2007

was resnais giving up on hiroshima mon amour a good thing?

So when resnais went into tackling hiroshima mon amour, he started out as making a documentary. This made sense at the time. night and fog was a big hit, and he was going to probably get a great response from the world again for making this hiroshima piece. Unfortunately he gave up on the idea of making documentaries all together and thus hiroshima mon amour becomes a narrative. This is troubling, because as anarrative, hiroshima mon amour was ironic and funny at points, but most of the time it was dull, unecessary and hard to follow. The shots in the film were well crafted, and there is something to be said about the way that resnais allows his cameras to pan at just the right moment, but this is present in all his pieces. The most interesting thing in the entire film was the first ten minutes of the movie. The way it was shot, the way it was edited, the way that it was intercut with the ashes falling on the naked bodies, all of these visually amazing elements made the first part of the film a beauty. I have seen few images in film that put me into such an involved trance. I couldn't pull my eyes away from the screen if I had wanted to. The rest of the movie had an interesting subject matter, and made me laugh occassionally, but as a whole the only thing that worked for me was the beginning of the film (the part that resnais made before he turned it into a narrative)

1 comment:

jarryd meyer said...

This is the best blog I've ever read in my life, the way that I'm able to describe the flaws in Hirshima mon amour. I mean when i was watching the film I was thinking the exact same thing as what I described in the blog. It's like I'm reading my own mind...hmmm