May 7, 2007

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm - Oh. Geez.

William Greaves attempted to create a "new" kind of film. "New". Whatever that means. This is never going to be one of those films I go back and watch again because I feel I've "missed something". In fact, the entire hour and a half of it I had NO idea what I was watching. I saw people acting, people trying act, people acting trying to act like they weren't acting (?), a director that had no idea what the heck he was doing, no drive, and a crew that was just as clueless as me (that part, I liked. Their conversations were the one breath of fresh air that "film" had). After reading some of the other blogs related to this, I saw that many people saw it as one of those films that makes you guess it it's legit or not, whether the actors were in fact acting horribly on purpose or because they were just plain bad,

1 comment:

Travi said...

Your frustrations over the film might have been designed.
I share your sentiment about not watching the film again. I think one viewing is sufficient for anyone. (The original intent of Mr. Greaves was to have five (5) takes - but with lack of funding, he ended up with only 2-1/2) The film resonated within me a feeling of conscious awareness. Think of how many ways you can tell someone that you love them. How many ways can you express your contempt? And how often is that situation repeated in your life? Daily? Weekly? I'm sure that the situation is eternal, no matter how frequent it is present to your reality. However, for each instance, we only get one chance to express ourselves- and what we choose to express is a byproduct of all of the interdependent connections one has. So, to me, the film exposes a system of influence that had not previously been captured on film with such a direct approach. The film is not attempting to be a "documentary" on how a movie is made, or how actors act, or how directors direct, but rather an exercise in creating a new film making process - one that seems quite natural and commonplace today.
I suggest exploring the writings of Arthur F. Bentley (symbiotaxiplasm).