May 6, 2007

Hollywood>Almost anything.

After reading the George Custen writing on the biopic I am starting to see how Hollywood didn't just control how things shaped the society we live in today but still shape everything around our lives. I was walking through the airport yesterday and as I glanced up to the monitors in the terminal I found out that Paris Hilton was just sentenced to 45 days in jail for driving with a suspended license. Custen talks about how sketches of famous men and women were manufactured like commodities. And as I read that and see Paris on screen I see that Hollywood has not stopped creating products. Stars and celebrities are manufactured like commodities. The definition of a commodity is a raw material that can be bought and sold. It’s sad that Hollywood and the society that feeds of this information has turned people into an item to be bought and sold. I know that celebrities have accepted the spotlight but do we really need to know as much as we are told? It seems that we are in a position of authority to accept this obscured amount of information shoved in our face or to reject it. I hope that our society isn't defined by the personalities of the age but by the actions of people trying to change the hurt and suffering of the world. If we keep going to the direction we are and absorbing the media we do I think it’s going to be the former rather than the latter.

1 comment:

brian chasey said...

I agree, celebs are being presented to the pblic like they are gods. That is why shows like E! exist. They are designed specifically to exploit celebs in any way they can. Looking back on the old Hollywood, the same thing was happening with stars like Humphrey Bogart and Marilyn Monroe. They are presented as if they were flawless and beyond anyone normal. I think why that happens is because the spectator tries to put themselves into their shoes and pretend to be part of this glamorous lifestyle not knowing just how stressful it really is. Envy is a very dangerous desire, but most people do not understand how to deal with it.