May 6, 2007

Hiroshima

I found Hiroshima Mon Amour extremely hard to sit through. After a day or two afterwards I couldn't get it out of my mind. The levels within the film kept you thinking after the movie was over. What was it really about? Is it about the event, the relationship between the people, between the cultures, between the people and Hiroshima? I came to the conclusion that the film, in the end, spoke of relationship. The complexity of both characters is what drew the two characters together because they both relate to the world differently according to their histories. The reason the woman is so distressed is because of her relationship with the German. Her family didn't approve of relationshiop, neitheir did the family. The family's reaction was based on the daughter's relationship with the German. Though it's interesting to think about the film afterward, the hard part of watching the film is seeing their actions without knowing why they act in the way they do. Every action has a reason and a reaction, and that's what the movie tried to show.

1 comment:

T.J. Mousetis said...

The opening sequence of the film was really the only part of the film that I believed had any sort of impact. After about twenty minutes I found myself having the same problems you were.