May 6, 2007

Grierson on Documentary made me think of this…

It’s strange. The want to break down, understand, and debunk those forms of entertainment which are not up to par is completely understandable, and natural. Sometimes, however, when one takes a step back, it can seem like over kill, an expelling of unnecessarily expelled energy, a waste of time. While the content of these ‘lower forms’ can easily be scoffed at and criticized, the truth is that they have a market and therefore at the very least, a small portion of the population has some level of appreciation for them. While, when taking time to think it all over, most should be able to comprehend the negativity that abounds within such low quality content and the plausibility of it’s potential negative consequences when saturating a large portion of the unthinking population, sometimes it feels like everyone should just shut up, relax and enjoy the ridiculousness of that awfully constructed horror movie that showcases nudity and congratulates excessive sexuality.

On a personal note, I have made mention of this because I am one to spend time being annoyed by media that does not live up to full potential, but I am also one to spend a great deal of time with B-movies playing in the background of my day to day. And while I understand the negative complications of media that doesn’t think fully about it’s impact, or thinks about it and chooses immoral grounds of basis, I must say that I can very much enjoy those kinds of concepts which I choose to direct my anger when approached from a hypothetical stand point.

What am I saying?…Chill.Out.

No comments: