March 16, 2007

What Can I Say About Medium Cool?

Medium Cool is a form of media, made by the media about how people in the media view the media. I think it would be hard to add any more layers of self reflexivity without becoming rediculous. It comments on how news is nothing more than entertainment, while combining both actual footage of news along with entertainment. What I liked about medium cool was that you never got the impression that the filmmakers wanted us to hate the media- only to be weary of it. During the end of the movie, the audience is treated to very exciting scenes of protests and riots, and yet it turns out that some of the most poignant footage is real. I think it would have been difficult to conceive a movie like this and then execute it so well, but Haskell Wexler pulled it off nicely.
Although it was shot to look like a documentary, there were never any points where I though the events portrayed were real. However, finding out that many of the clips were taken from actual events really helped to drive the point home. I really enjoyed the end when we catch a cameraman on a scaffold and he points the camera at us. Scary!

No comments: