March 1, 2007

No Lies

This film was disturbing for the reason that it feels so realistic. Throughout the 16 minutes of the film there is only one break in the filming which helps in letting the acting unfold as the events happen. This is helpful because the audience sees the transformation from a happy young woman to a sobbing desperate girl after telling her story. The fact that the cameraman is continuous in getting his desired reaction is also disturbing and adds to the realism as the actions unfold. This is a believable slice of life because of the fact that rapes often go unsolved, for the reason that people don't believe the accuser.

3 comments:

mike votel said...

I agree with Adam and, if you don't all ready know that this isn't true, it is a scary story that we hear. The actress does an incredible of acting like she's not an actor. In the beginning, she barely says anything to the camera, but when it gets more serious, she becomes very emotional after being questioned by the cameraman. The cameraman was also very convincing because he kept imposing his point of view on the woman that seemed to get her to react because of the way he viewed the situation.

T.J. Mousetis said...

I don't know if "slice of life" is the best way to describe this short, because I don't know how often people who are raped are probed with a camera and questions to the degree that the woman is in this. I agree with everything else you said. It's hard for me to watch even when I know that it's scripted an acted out.

Mr. Derp said...

going into this film, I didn't know whether it was real or not. My first reaction was that it was completely fake, because the woman was so nonchalant in bringing up the topic of her getting raped. By the middle of the film, I was thinking they were both going along with the conversation for the sake of the joke. Then I realized how serious the whole thing was and that the character actually was raped. Finally, to my chagrin, it was revealed that the film was not real. I've never been on so many sides of the fence in such a short amount of time.