February 23, 2007

Waiting for Guffman

I wonder how the characters for this movie were created. The director played the part of his character so well that I feel as if the character came first, then the story. Corky is such a strong character that he could do his own show, like Sasha Barron Coen does.

What made me wonder about the style of the comedy is that I didnt think it was funny when I watched it by myself 4 years ago, but I thought it was hilarious when watching it with a group of people. I'm not sure why that would be, except maybe when you hear people laughing then, like a yawn, you start to laugh to.

Another reason that I may have not liked it before is because I didnt know most of the actors. For some reason, recognizing the actors, makes it more ironic and funny. This doesnt really help the poor film maker. Perhaps that is why most student mockumentaries are not as funny.


Stephen Wright

No comments: